City Banda Aceh (dime at upper left of map below)
Host Institution Institut Agama Islam Negeri Ar Raniry
Project Dates September 2008 – June 2009
Project Focus
American Culture, English for Listening, English for Reading, English for Speaking, English for Writing, Teaching Methodologies, Teaching Techniques
Project Description
The EL Fellow will teach a methodology course; ELT courses; one literature course; and train new teaching assistants at the University. In addition, the EL Fellow will participate in discussions and activities of the English Department Student Association; and assist with materials development.
Project Objectives
Improved methodology at the Institute's English Department; better trained teaching staff in the Department; and greater cross-cultural understanding.
About the Host Institution
IAIN, one of the oldest Islamic educational institutions in Banda Aceh, has five Faculties, of which the Faculty of Education is the largest. The English Department offers courses in English as well as language teaching methodology. The Institute trains many teachers of English for the local public schools.
I was grateful to that little voice inside for waking me up so that I had time to mull over this news before going to work. All I know at the moment about Banda Aceh is that it is (as my mother pointed out) the little tip of Sumatra that sticks over the equator, and that it was (as my cousin informed my Mom) one of the hardest hit areas in the tsunami of five years ago. I try to imagine what part this fact now plays in the daily lives of all the people living there. I have some extra research to do about that now, on top of my general Indonesia research.
I responded promptly by email with my acceptance, and by noon I had already received TWO more friendly communications from people in the program, helping me feel very positive about such a support system.
1 comment:
Wow!
Yay!
For a town of 260,000, Banda Aceh has an amazingly thin Wiki entry. If only you knew a trained geographer, they could probably give you the scoop.
Post a Comment